Traditionally, cleaning products are packed with harmful chemicals that do not just cause a lot of damage to sensitive surfaces in your home but also the environment.
If you are living a green lifestyle, then luckily, there are a few products available that can help clean your home without harming the planet.
We tested ten cleaning products with eco-friendly credentials, and we also find out what you need to look for in sustainable cleaners.
Top 10 Eco-Friendly Cleaners
With an increasing awareness of sustainable living, manufacturers of well known brands have started to bring some eco-friendly products to the market.
Here are our top ten eco-friendly cleaners that we found ideal for every green home.
Bon Ami is a trusted cleaning brand. Their popular powder cleaner is produced from limestones, baking soda and feldspar which is a soft mineral.
Thanks to the mild ingredients, it doesn’t scratch or damage any surfaces which makes it ideal for bathroom fixtures and cookware.
- Cheap: Eco-friendly doesn’t always have to be expensive, as this product proves.
- No harmful chemicals: This sustainable cleaner doesn’t contain any chlorine, dyes and fragrances
- Doesn’t remove bacteria: Just spreading the powder on a surface doesn’t remove bacteria, germs and viruses.
You can find this powder cleanser on Walmart.
Eco-Me has a full product line with different eco-friendly cleaners, from organic floor cleaner to natural wood polish.
The products are made in the US with natural ingredients, and many of them also don’t contain any fragrances.
- Organic and natural: This natural cleaner uses organic ingredients and it’s BPA-free.
- Entire product range: Eco-Me offers an entire product range of organic cleaners
- Made in the USA: Eco-Me products are made in America, so the product’s footprint is relatively low.
- Effective but basic: Customers found that a mix of water and vinegar seems to be equally effective.
You can buy this organic all-purpose cleaner on the Eco-Me website.
If you don’t want a big cleaning bottle but prefer practical wipes, then these disposable wipes are ideal for a quick clean.
While wipes are the most economical or sustainable option, these botanical disinfecting wipes from CleanWell use only plant-based ingredients to kill bacteria and germs.
- Fresh scent: These wipes have a gentle fragrance, so your surfaces smell fresh and clean.
- Disinfects with an essential oil: The botanical wipes contain essential oils that smell beautiful and clean thoroughly.
- Takes some time to work: These wipes take around ten minutes to kill germs effectively.
- Can dry out: If you store the wipes for too long, they can dry out and become less effective.
You can buy these practical cleaning wipes from a store on the CleanWell website.
Based in Texas, Puracy are fully focused on creating natural and eco-friendly products.
This surface cleaner doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals and it’s even suitable for households with children.
- Available in different scents: Puracy offers different fragrances, including lemongrass and lime.
- Suitable for families: You can use this cleaner all around your home as it’s perfectly baby-friendly.
- Refillable and recyclable: The plastic bottle of the cleaner can be refilled or recycled, so there is no unnecessary waste.
- Spray bottle issues: Customers found that sometimes the spray bottle mechanism gets stuck.
You can buy this multi-surface cleaner on the Puracy website.
Vinegar is one of the best cleaning solutions around the house, and that’s why, this natural and organic cleaning solution is based on vinegar.
It removes all grease and even clears any water stains that are typically left behind by other cleaners.
While its main ingredients is vinegar, this product doesn’t have the same strong smell.
- Removes grime and grease: This surface cleaner cuts through hard water build-up on bathroom fixtures and greasy kitchen surfaces.
- Available in different scents: There are a range of different essential oil scents you can choose from, from eucalyptus and lemon to mandarin and lavender.
- Vinegar-based: Vinegar is a well known household remedy for stains, and this product uses a traditional formula without the nasty vinegar smell.
- Not suitable as disinfectant: Although it’s effective for many stains, this surface cleaner isn’t suitable to kill germs.
You can buy Aunt Fannie’s cleaning vinegar on the Aunt Fannie’s website.
PUR Home creates a range of skincare and household products that use only plant-based ingredients.
The nontoxic and natural cleaners are super effective and biodegradable.
- Suitable for pets and children: You can safely clean your home with this all purpose cleaner, even when there are pets and children around.
- Plant-based: The natural ingredients are all derived from plants, so this cleaner is even vegan.
- Biodegradable: Thanks to the organic components, this cleaner doesn’t leave any trace in nature.
- Small bottles: The cleaning bottle is relatively small compared to some other products, so it’s best used sparingly.
You can buy this all in one cleaner for your home on the PUR home website.
Similar to vinegar, baking soda is a traditional cleaning agent. You cannot only bake with it but you can also use it as an incredibly gentle abrasive cleaner.
- Cheaper than other cleaners: Baking soda is relatively cheap compared to other cleaning products.
- Gentle cleaner: This organic cleaner is a gentle abrasive that gets rid of grease and grime.
- Versatile: You can use it for almost any surface, including bathroom and kitchen fixtures.
- More expensive than simple baking soda: While this branded baking soda is very effective, it is also more expensive than some of the cheap alternatives.
You can buy the Arm & Hammer baking soda on the Arm And Hammer website.
Common Good have a range of cleaning products, from natural hand soap to all-purpose cleaners.
Made from 100% essential oils, the cleaner comes in glass or plastic packaging which you can refill at a refill station worldwide.
- Easy to refill: Thanks to the refilling stations across the globe or online, you can refill your cleaning products.
- Subscriptions: The refill concept from Common Good allows you to subscribe for refills and save money.
- Lightly scented: As this cleaner is made with essential oils, it has a beautifully light scent.
- Plastic packaging: While Common Good are keen on replacing plastic with glass bottles, some packaging is still plastic which isn’t very eco-friendly.
You can buy the Common Good purpose cleaner on the Common Good website.
These laundry detergent pods have been around for a while, so it’s no surprise that they have been popular with customers.
Made with mineral-based and eco-friendly ingredients, Dropps products are also packed with compostable boxes.
- Compostable: The cardboard boxes can be added to your compost or why not reuse it.
- Made in the USA: The Dropps formulas for their detergent pods are made in the US, so the products don’t have to travel too far.
- No plastic: Compared to other standard laundry pods, these organic detergent pods don’t contain any plastic which makes them environmentally friendly.
- Expensive: Compared to standard laundry detergent pods, these laundry pods are still relatively expensive.
Get the Dropps laundry detergent pods from the Dropps website.
Blueland offers a range of cleaning kits which are made with organic and natural materials. The kits are labelled as climate neutral and their packaging is recyclable.
- Reusable and refillable: The kits come with different reusable bottles and refills, so you can get the most of your cleaning supplies.
- Range of kits available: You can choose from a range of different kits, including botanical hand soaps, facial cleaners, toilet cleaners, detergent and more.
- Money-back guarantee: Blueland offer a 60-day money-back guarantee if you are not happy with the product.
- Doesn’t disinfect: Blueland don’t include any disinfectant agents in their products, so you can’t use the cleaner to get rid of bacteria and germs.
You can get a Blueland cleaning kit on the Blueland website.
What To Look For In Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
With a huge range of cleaning products available on the shelves, it’s so difficult to find which one is right for your home.
This is especially true with many more organic cleaners coming onto the market.
When you are looking for eco-friendly cleaners, there are a few terms and labels that you should keep an eye out for.
Branding such as “plant-based”, “vegan” and “cruelty-free” are a few popular terms that you will find on products.
However, this doesn’t always mean that these cleaners are eco-friendly. It’s a good idea to check out reviews online and find products that clearly tell a sustainable story.
Sustainable products and environmentally friendly cleaners are becoming ever more popular and with the greater choice of products, we also need to be more careful with what we are actually buying.