You’ve just put a load of laundry into the washer, set the cycle, and grabbed your detergent, only to discover the bottle’s empty. If you have Fabuloso on hand, you might think it could make a good laundry detergent in a pinch. After all, it smells great and is antibacterial.
In this article, we’ll tell you if you can use Fabuloso to wash your clothes and give you the pros and cons of doing so. We’ll also provide step-by-step instructions on how to clean your clothes with Fabuloso without damaging them.
If you don’t want to use Fabuloso on your laundry, you can scroll to the end to find a list of alternative products that will clean your clothes gently and efficiently. The best part is you probably have most of these products in your pantry!
Can Fabuloso Be Used For Laundry?
According to the manufacturers of Fabuloso, you shouldn’t use the product to wash your clothes. They say that their product should never be heated and that it is intended for cleaning around the home instead.
That said, many people online talk about the benefits of using Fabuloso as a laundry detergent, and sometimes you’ll end up in a situation where you don’t have any other way to get the stains out of your clothes.
Benefits Of Using Fabuloso For Laundry
When you run out of laundry detergent, there are a few reasons that Fabuloso can cross your mind as a good alternative for washing your clothes, like its lovely scents and its disinfectant power.
Let’s take a look at a few more benefits of washing your clothes with Fabuloso.
It Makes Your Clothes Smell Nice
Fabuloso is well known for its variety of invigorating scents, like lemon and lavender. Washing your clothes with this cleaner will impart those lovely aromas onto your clothing just like laundry detergent does.
It Has a Balanced pH Level
When it comes to washing clothes, having a balanced pH level is extremely important. Cleaners that are too acidic or too alkaline can damage the fabric and irritate your skin.
It Can Sanitize Your Laundry
Sometimes your clothes can get so dirty that cleaning alone just isn’t enough. Fabuloso is a well-known sanitizer that will remove any germs or bacteria on your clothing.
Risks of Using Fabuloso For Laundry
Now that you know the benefits of using Fabuloso to wash your clothes, let’s take a look at the risks involved with doing so.
The Smell Can Be Overwhelming
I know we listed the smell of Fabuloso as a benefit, but on the other hand, Fabuloso has a powerful aroma that can be too strong for laundry.
If you use it to boost your detergent, it will balance out okay, but when you use it to replace the detergent, you might find it makes your clothes smell so strongly that the scent is no longer pleasant.
It Could Cause Skin Irritation
Think about it; this is a strong cleaner we’re talking about. Among Fabuloso’s intended uses are cleaning the kitchen floor and scrubbing out the toilet bowl.
Naturally, a cleaner that potent could irritate your skin if you wash your clothes in it. This is especially true if you have sensitive skin or are washing baby clothes.
How To Use Fabuloso To Wash Clothes
Now that you’ve read about the pros and cons of using Fabuloso as a laundry detergent, let’s take a look at the best way to use it to clean your clothes.
- Handwash Only: It’s important not to use Fabuloso by itself in the washing machine. It’s not made to work with a washer’s delicate electronic and mechanical parts, so it could clog the tubing and leave residue on the sensors. Using Fabuloso alongside your favorite detergent as a laundry booster is okay, but using it alone isn’t a good idea.
- Don’t Use Too Much: Since you’re going to be washing your clothes by hand in a sink or bucket, you won’t need to use as much Fabuloso as you would detergent for a whole load of laundry. Just two tablespoons of Fabuloso added to a gallon of warm water will be enough to get the job done.
- Soak Your Clothes: Since you won’t be using a washing machine with different cycles, you will get the best results if you let your clothes soak in your diluted Fabuloso mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Scrub the Stains: When your clothes have finished soaking, you can pull them out one by one to scrub out any stains. With most items, you can just rub the material against itself to lift the stain, but with heavy-duty materials like jeans or work overalls, you may need to use a scrub brush to get them clean.
- Rinse It Out: When you’ve removed all the stains, you can empty your sink or bucket, rinse out any soap residue, and refill it with clean water. Dunk your soapy clothes in the fresh water to rinse them. Depending on how much Fabuloso you use, you may have to repeat this step two or three times. When your clothes are thoroughly rinsed, wring them out and dry them however you like.
Other Laundry Detergent Alternatives To Consider
If you’ve decided that the risks of using Fabuloso to clean your clothes outweigh the benefits, here are a few all-natural laundry detergents you can try.
Cleaning your clothes with vinegar is as easy as using laundry detergent. You can just put ½ cup of white distilled vinegar in your washing machine’s detergent compartment and run your desired cycle as usual.
2. Baking Soda
Using baking soda to wash your laundry is simple. All you need to do is put your dirty clothes into the washing machine and pour ⅓ cup of baking soda directly onto them. You shouldn’t put baking soda in the detergent compartment because it won’t dissolve properly.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
If you’re washing white clothes or linens, you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean and disinfect them (it’s good for carpets too). Just put ½ a cup of hydrogen peroxide in your washing machine’s bleach dispenser and run your cycle as usual.
Does Fabuloso Stain Clothes?
Fabuloso doesn’t stain clothes, but it is a powerful cleaner. As such, it can cause damage to delicate material. If you plan to wash clothes with Fabuloso, you should make sure you leave out any delicate items, like wool, silk, or cashmere.
What Else Can You use Fabuloso For?
Whether or not you decide to use Fabuloso in the laundry, there are all sorts of ways to use it around the house, including:
- Washing Floors
- Scrubbing Toilets
- Disinfection Countertops
- Cleaning Showers
If you unexpectedly run out of laundry detergent, you might consider using Fabuloso to wash your clothes. Although the manufacturer states that it’s not intended for use as a laundry detergent, many people have used it safely and effectively.
If you decide to clean your clothing with Fabuloso, be sure to handwash them. Using it in your washing machine as the sole detergent is not safe.
If you would decide the risks of using Fabuloso in the laundry outweigh the benefits, there are natural alternatives you could try. You can use vinegar, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide right in your washing machine.
- Washing Machine Stuck On Wash Cycle? (Do This) - February 7, 2023
- Why Does My Laundry Room Smell Like Sewage? - February 7, 2023
- Why Does My House Smell Like Nail Polish Remover? - February 7, 2023