Castile soap is one of the biggest trends in body care at the moment. It’s traditionally natural ingredients make it not just healthy but also vegan.
In this article, we tested five gentle Castile soaps in liquid form that are ideal for sensitive skin.
Made in the USA, the Seven Minerals castile soap doesn’t contain any palm oil or harmful chemicals. It’s suitable for sensitive skin as well as baby baths.
While this organic Castile soap is fully biodegradable, it is also super effective, with up to three times more concentrated than traditional soaps.
- Contains natural castor oil: Organic castor oil is considered to be an anti-inflammatory and it is said to soothe any skin blemishes, including dry skin, acne and eczema.
- Different fragrance: This mild Castile soap only contains essential oils that don’t have a strong scent, and you can choose different fragrances.
- Versatile: You can use this soap in a range of different ways, as a hand soap or baby soap or even as a floor cleaner or laundry detergent.
- Small bottle: Compared to some other organic liquid soaps, the Seven Minerals soap comes in a small bottle, although you can also get larger refill containers.
You can find the gentle Castile soap from Seven Minerals on the Seven Minerals website.
This unscented Castile non-detergent soap is made in the traditional way with organic olive oil and cocoa butter.
As it doesn’t contain any essential oils, this soap only has a subtle olive oil smell which makes it especially gentle on sensitive skin.
If you like, you can even add your own essential oils to add a little smell.
- Made with organic ingredients: This fragrance-free California Castile soap is made with natural ingredients, including olive oil, coconut oil, water and kukui nut oil.
- Doesn’t dry the skin: You can use this Castile soap for any skin type as it doesn’t dry the skin out. This also makes it ideal for extra sensitive skin.
- Versatile soap: California Castile soap is suitable as a skin care product as well as multi-purpose cleaner.
- Pricey: Customers found this soap to be a little more expensive than other natural Castile soaps.
You can buy this unscented Carolina Castile soap on the Carolina Castile Soap website.
Vermont Soap are making natural soaps already since 1992, and many of their natural soaps don’t contain any harsh chemicals.
The brand’s gentle Castile soap is ideal for sensitive and dry skin as it is made with the traditional Castile olive oil and no essential oils.
- Different scents and fragrances: While Vermont Soap offer this unscented Castile soap, you can also get liquid Castile soap from the brand with essential oil scents.
- Different sizes available: Vermont Soap offer a range of sizes of this Castile soap, so you can choose to sample a little bit before you commit to a big batch.
- Septic tank safe: Customers also found that this soap is biodegradable, so it can be safely disposed of in a septic tank.
- A little watery: Some buyers noticed that this Castile soap is a little watery compared to other organic soaps.
You can order the different liquid Castile soaps from Vermont Soap directly.
Dr. Bronner’s is one of the traditional soap brands. This liquid soap is made with over 90%organic ingredients and more than 70% of ingredients that labelled as fair trade.
Dr. Bronner’s don’t use any synthetic preservatives or foaming agents in their organic Castile soaps.
- Recycled plastic bottles: Dr. Bronner’s use discarded plastic from landfill to make their recycled plastic bottles. This reduces the negative impact on the environment.
- Concentrated: With the concentrated formula, you can get three times more out of this soap which means a lot less waste in packaging.
- Extremely versatile: You can use Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap for washing dishes, washing your pet or baby and even as an all-purpose cleaner.
- Not suitable for sensitive skin: Although Dr. Bronner’s have labelled this soap for babies, many customers found it not suitable for dry and sensitive skin.
You can find the Dr. Bronner’s range of Castile soaps on the Dr. Bronner’s website.
This liquid Castile soap from Dr. Wood’s is more suitable for all your body care. The mix of shea butter and tea tree oil or peppermint nourishes the skin and leaves it soft and smooth.
It’s suitable for all skin types, from oily skin to dry skin.
- Made with shea butter: Dr. Wood’s Castile soap contains organic shea butter which helps to moisturize and condition your skin.
- Natural body care: Made with organic ingredients, this natural soap can be used for the entire body, from shaving lather and shampoo to body wash and facial cleanser.
- Different scents: Dr. Wood’s Castile soap is available in a range of fragrances, including peppermint and tea tree.
- Scented: Dr. Wood’s offers only scented Castile soap, so if you want an unscented soap, then this may not be for you.
You can buy the liquid Castile soap from Dr. Wood’s on the Dr. Wood’s website.
How To Choose An Organic Castile Soap
When you are looking for a good quality liquid Castile soap, then there are a few things you need to look out for.
Check The Label And Ingredients
One of the first things to do when you are looking at a Castile soap is to check the label. Find out whether it contains any unusual ingredients, such as palm oil or additives.
The label will also tell you more about its organic origins, as many soap manufacturers often explain how the soap is made and what’s added.
Made From Olive Oil
Castile soap originates from the Castile region of Spain which is commonly known in the world for its high-quality olive oil.
Good Castile soap should contain a high amount of olive oil, ideally 100%. However, many liquid Castile soaps also contain other ingredients, such as essential oils, to make the soap more supple.
Shouldn’t Dry The Skin
Olive oil is naturally anti-bacterial and moisturizing. This means that it does not dry out the skin.
If your Castile soap dries your sensitive skin, then it may contain additives which irritate your skin.
Traditionally, Castile soap doesn’t have a strong scent. While it does have a light smell of saponified oil, good Castile soap typically doesn’t have any added fragrances.
Saying this, many manufacturers of Castile soap bars and liquid Castile soap add essential oils which give the cleanser a light scent.
It’s a good idea to check reviews to find out whether your Castile soap is truly unscented or if it has some added ingredients that could give it an odor.
Free From Additives And Chemicals
What makes Castile soap so popular with many people is that it doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or additives, such as perfumes.
Make sure that you check the label for the specific ingredients. They should all be planted-based to ensure that the soap doesn’t irritate your skin.
Castile soap isn’t just suitable for skincare but it can also be used as a cleaning product around the house.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Castile Soap?
Castile soap is typically made with saponified oils, including olive oil. These oils have hydrating properties which cleanse and moisturize your skin.
While Castile soap is often extremely gentle on sensitive skin, it is also an ideal cleaner that removes stubborn stains and grease.
What Is Castile Soap Made Out Of?
Castile soap is made from olive oil. Originally, Castile soap comes from the Castile region in Spain which is well-known for its olive oil production.
Today, many Castile soap manufacturers also use other oils, including coconut oil, hemp oil or castor oil.
Does Castile Soap Expire?
Yes, Castile soap will eventually expire after some time. As this type of soap doesn’t contain any additives or chemicals, it can usually last for up to a year.
However, you can also make soap last for longer, if you do not leave it in the sun and you store it in a cool and dry place.
Is There A Difference In Castile Soaps?
Castile soaps are very similar to regular soaps, although they do not typically foam.
In addition, Castile soap is traditionally made only with natural ingredients which makes it more eco-friendly. As the ingredients are also all plant-based, Castile soaps are also vegan.
What Does Pure Castile Soap Do For Your Skin?
As Castile soap is made with organic plant ingredients, it is considered safe for all skin types, including sensitive baby skin.
It is also ideal for acne skin or oily skin as the healthy oils in Castile soap can penetrate the pores helping it clean the skin without drying it too much.
Castile soap is traditionally an organic and plant-based product. If manufacturers make their soaps with the original olive oil, then Castile soap can be incredibly healthy for the skin.
Saying this, it’s important to check the ingredients and make sure that your liquid Castile soap doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.